What does WATSA do ?
The Coalition's stratehic plan for 2018-2022 focuses on the road sub-sector; it is envisaged the subsequent strategic plans will cover the other sub-sectors.
WATSA has three strategic objectives for 2018-2022
1. Influence and promote a transparnt, accountable and well-governed transport sector
The Coalition will work to involve civil society in monitoring the transport sector. This will help ensure compliance with standards and safety measures in road budget management, procurement processes, construction, monitoring and supervision, as well as maintenance.Interventions
- Undertake and disseminate research and produce disaggregated data
- Review legal, policy and institutional frameworks to ensure adequate monitoring and compliance mechanisms and civil society input
- Monitor completed, ongoing and future sector projects
- Facilitate stakeholder engagement
- Promote best Practice on the part of contractors
- Advocate for contribution of transport sector to poverty eradication.
2. Enhance citizen's and stakeholder's awareness of, and participation in, the transport sector
Increased awareness among stakeholders and the wider public of tranpsort issues, and of their right to participate in the processes, will empower them to demand and receive better transport services.Interventions:
- Promote information sharing among members, stakeholders and relevant institutions
- Promote information management systems and practices
- Create information and education material
- Use various channels including mass media, ICT platforms, and arts and sports events as part of a board publicity campaign to inform the public.
3. Build a strong, credible and sustainable coalition to influence the development of the transport sector
Coalition building is challenging task. The first three-year phase aims to establish the institutional basis needed to implement this and successive strategic plans, and to ensure the Coalition's capacity to effectively contribute to the development of the transport sector.Interventions:
- Establish WATSA structures and implement its policies, procedures and systems
- Build capacity of members and partner stakeholders to better understand the sector
- Support and coordinate members to effectively articulate issues and engage in the sector
- resources to drive the agenda and sustain the coalition
- Promote coalition and members visibility